Welcome to the YunaMS forum! Click here to check out the announcements category for important information regarding features, patch notes, and other critical updates. See what everyone's up to by joining our discord channel. Remember to vote for free daily NX! Enjoy~
Perma-Beginner Solutions | YunaMS Forum

Perma-Beginner Solutions

Commoner

Dec 29, 2022
Hello Everyone,

(Intro & Struggles)
Yes you have definitely at least seen me in the discord chat but I am that perma-beginner with the IGN: Commoner. I wanted to express my difficulties with this server thus far regardless if I have chosen a different class or no class at all. First and foremost I would like to clarify that I very much so have enjoyed the server so far and am doing quite well as I have reached 115. Its now at a point where I would like to boss with my friends but the low HP value has pretty much made that impossible as everything one-shots me. While I very well understand the terrible scaling for beginners, (especially since there is no job adv/I do this on every server) many servers generally have HP washing (which tbh is annoying but helpful) or other ways to help beginners (some even have abilities honestly that's cool but eh). Here is nice because I have been enjoying this grind to be number 1 but as I get higher level I realized that the equips for me do not give me enough def to negate any damage (as I still have a bathrobe). I know there is the sweetwater gear which is obviously the goal but there is almost no way for me to obtain the gear as I cant make much money and I don't have enough HP to live in any boss runs. I have been told that "that is a point of the perma beginner is for the challenge/fun and of course you'd to boss due to no hp scaling" and I agree with the first part but definitely disagree with the second part. There are many post about balance fixes to other classes to make them more playable but I feel almost rude asking to get some sort of buff to a class almost no one plays just to reach the bare minimum of spam potting because two hits will kill me (which is what im used to). I have found the best part about private servers is the ability to make balance changes as you see fit and I have appreciated the engagement that has been shown so far(i.e the mount quest added for me) and was hoping there could be some help in this department as this is my absolute favorite way to play the game.

(Solutions)

(Introduced abilities 120+) While many of my friends have talked about crazy things like making them a buff mule at 200 (like HB-70, SE- 120 HS- 200) which would be cool but takes away from the beginner class. At most I thing gaining any abilities at 120+ would be cool but not mandatory imo(and only abilities to the extent of Combo, Double swing/Power Strike, Improving Max HP) therefore adding help to people who have obviously committed to this but not making them OP by any means. Though again I really could even be okay with making the HP scaling better at 70+ or 120+ for beginners (if possible).

(HP Fixing) The main issue is obviously survivability which is what I care about most. I will sit there and auto attack an entire HT run and enjoy every second but here it is seeming like that may not be possible.. Currently I know you can get HB for 60% HP increase + 1k HP from medals + 3k HP Beast Slayer (which would have to be a continuous purchase) with all these + gear I would be around the 11k Mark but with the lack of gear to wear my def is so low I still get one shot by nearly most things at this level. Ideas that don't involve adding skills that would be nice would be:
+Increase HP scaling once 70+
+Adding gear that give large HP numbers (beginner only if you wanted to negate other players from obtaining)
+Possible Permanent Beast Slayer for Beginners (or something of that standard)
+Convert MP to HP maybe?
+Getting Blessing of the Fairy for avoid/acc
+Or if anyone had any extra ideas I would like to hear it

Ideally, I believe adding more items for beginners would be the most fun (obviously because there isn't much universal gear that caters to me) but realistically better HP scaling for a beginner 70+ would be the easiest fix imo

(Conclusion)
I hope I am not asking for a lot but it does seem as there is some adaptability for class adjustments that have been made which would be super cool to apply to the 1%er like me that truly enjoys the challenging (and useless) class that is a beginner (Legend/Nobleless as well). I have been absolutely enjoying this server thus far and really would like to continue to strive to be the first beginner to get to 250 (not even with a mule char). Currently it may be at a hold but I hope we can either work together to make a fair and balanced experience for the beginner class. I understand to the fullest that some of these suggestions may not be the way you see the direction of your server, I hope you can at least adjust scaling or aid me in a way to have the same experience as my favorite class rather than making something I really don't care to.

(EDIT)

After talking with a few folks, I have been talking about how it's hard at this point to progress and people really didn't know how bad the scaling is for beginner.. Currently at level 124 my beginner has 2.3k HP with a fair amount of points into HP. With Beast Slayer that puts me at 5K.. This really is nothing compared to a majority of 1st job classes. It is at the point where I cant even progress in the game unless im strictly leeching.. YUNA IM BEGGING SOS
:(

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope you can get back to me with any update or information!

All the best,

Commoner
HP Scaling (2).png

Last edited:

Kitsune

Dec 23, 2022
There's generally a desire to make perma-beginners along the entire history of MapleStory as a game, so QoL improvements to the class would be of the best interest of the community, I feel.
Adding some sort of "Beginner Only" alternative questline to gain Improved Max HP and other skills around the 30 to 45+ range would certainly be a benefit as well. This way you don't need to implement a completely new class with series of job advancements.
More upgradeable Common armor would also be greatly welcomed amongst the community as well, as I'm sure people are generally tired of 150+ levels of Bath Robes and Sauna Robes. xD

Aralaya

Oct 21, 2022
+Increase HP scaling once 70+
+Adding gear that give large HP numbers (beginner only if you wanted to negate other players from obtaining)
+Convert MP to HP maybe?

these were my favorite, along with limited skills, especially adding the beginner only gear with large hp numbers. every other class gets their own equips, why not beginners?

for skills maybe something like the Warrior's Slash Blast but instead of 6 targets, its 2-3 maybe around level 50. Ranger's Thrust around lvl 100, maybe cap the speed at 20 instead of 30? or reduce the cd of our super nimble feet around then?

i also wanna create a perma beginner so i would like to see some balancing done for them in some way, as well.

Reactions: Commoner

Commoner

Dec 29, 2022
these were my favorite, along with limited skills, especially adding the beginner only gear with large hp numbers. every other class gets their own equips, why not beginners?

for skills maybe something like the Warrior's Slash Blast but instead of 6 targets, its 2-3 maybe around level 50. Ranger's Thrust around lvl 100, maybe cap the speed at 20 instead of 30? or reduce the cd of our super nimble feet around then?

i also wanna create a perma beginner so i would like to see some balancing done for them in some way, as well.
I was talking with a buddy and we even mentioned just better HP scaling and getting HS and HB but only for me not for party members which was a cool though. I really hope the HP scaling really gets tuned after I just made a bowman at level 10 he has 1.2k HP and my beginner at level 115 has 2.1k HP currently.... I think thats the main issue is the scaling but having it after the point where someone can abuse it before first job or whatever.

Kitsune

Dec 23, 2022
I need the blue mitten that beginners can use as a claw f3 then ill be a one star throwing beginner lol
Still extremely surprised that we had the map that provides them blocked off -- especially during Christmas time.

And yeah -- it's particularly difficult when you consider that we have to make whatever buffs available at a later period in the life of the character, as others could just cheat their way into their intended jobs after obtaining them.
=/

Aralaya

Oct 21, 2022
Still extremely surprised that we had the map that provides them blocked off -- especially during Christmas time.
yeah but we brand new and i believe the game should still be in beta. i dont think its polished enough to be launched, but that was yunas choice. im just being patient and not tunnel-visioning on the server and expecting too much, i think yuna is alone for the most part so im willing to give her all the time she needs before implementing seasonal events. we still could use more daily/weekly events in a stable rotation before i would worry about the seasonal stuff. i can do other things while i wait for stuff..

And yeah -- it's particularly difficult when you consider that we have to make whatever buffs available at a later period in the life of the character, as others could just cheat their way into their intended jobs after obtaining them.

true thats why i suggest skills like the slash blash but nerfed and move speed buff because thats really not gunna make any class better. maybe a slight attack range increase on slash blast to make bossing easier but i think beginners should stay basic. they can still party with dk and bishop for hb and hs so i dont feel like they need skills like those. i think they just need things to make moving around maps easier and attacking more than 1 mob all the time would be nice. and like i said, even attacking just 2-3 mobs would be big and it would help in bosses as well.

4thJobHokage

Nov 24, 2022
This server does have HP washing, it's just "not required" for "normal" classes. Just add HP, the use a reset, take out of MP & add into STR. The more Monster Book stats you have (well the more INT you have, monster book helps) the easier it will be. Personally I don't see a need to change Beginner's at all. Isn't the whole point of playing a beginner to play a "class" or not a class that is not viable at all? You'll be missing HP from 4 Job advancements so of course you won't be able to come on most boss runs. If you were able to come on boss runs & just leech the kills off of characters who pick a class, does that not defeat the whole purpose of the challenge of going beginner?

Commoner

Dec 29, 2022
This server does have HP washing, it's just "not required" for "normal" classes. Just add HP, the use a reset, take out of MP & add into STR. The more Monster Book stats you have (well the more INT you have, monster book helps) the easier it will be. Personally I don't see a need to change Beginner's at all. Isn't the whole point of playing a beginner to play a "class" or not a class that is not viable at all? You'll be missing HP from 4 Job advancements so of course you won't be able to come on most boss runs. If you were able to come on boss runs & just leech the kills off of characters who pick a class, does that not defeat the whole purpose of the challenge of going beginner?
I understand what my class does at a base level.... what I’m asking for is since this is a private server where active class adjustments are made, even requests for ARAN adjustments... why can't beginners past a certain level also get a balance change? It is quite interesting that you're so adamant on leaving the beginner when the server literally promotes class adjustments and balance changes.. Realistically I'm asking for better HP scaling which every single class gets and is not even anything difficult. HP scaling helps survivability(everyone likes not getting 1 shot) and I'm well past the level to abuse a beginner scaling change. That is literally all I am asking for and it doesn't defeat the purpose of being a beginner because I'm still the same. What I do is nothing new to Maplestory.... and while you may not want me to go on a boss run that's okay, I do already have people who plan to take me on runs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aralaya

4thJobHokage

Nov 24, 2022
I understand what my class does at a base level.... what I’m asking for is since this is a private server where active class adjustments are made, even requests for ARAN adjustments... why can't beginners past a certain level also get a balance change? It is quite interesting that you're so adamant on leaving the beginner when the server literally promotes class adjustments and balance changes.. Realistically I'm asking for better HP scaling which every single class gets and is not even anything difficult. HP scaling helps survivability(everyone likes not getting 1 shot) and I'm well past the level to abuse a beginner scaling change. That is literally all I am asking for and it doesn't defeat the purpose of being a beginner because I'm still the same. What I do is nothing new to Maplestory.... and while you may not want me to go on a boss run that's okay, I do already have people who plan to take me on runs?

I assumed your HP was a tad better than it was, now that you said your HP is 2100 at level 124 that changes things a bit. My Wind Archer is 7900 clean I think, I have 8900 with Monster Book, same level as your Beginner. I assumed you would have 4000 HP or something like that, I thought that you were only missing the HP bonuses from job advancements, but it looks like on this server once you get 1st Job advancement the new HP scaling starts, it doesn't start as a Beginner, so you're getting doubly screwed. I agree Beginner's could use an HP rework so that if they're willing to put in the effort (monster book, Beast Slayer medal, some washing or only running w/ HB or only running w/ Barrier) it's at least possible to survive the map magic attack that bosses do.

Zark

Jan 3, 2023
even attacking just 2-3 mobs would be big and it would help in bosses as well.

This is the entire point of making Legend over an explorer perma-beginner. Trade off is, you can't use shell throw while using 2H weapons. Doesn't sound like much of a loss but it is the only attack (and ranged) skill available to beginners, and it ignores accuracy check as it always does 40 damage.

Reactions: 4thJobHokage

Commoner

Dec 29, 2022
This is the entire point of making Legend over an explorer perma-beginner. Trade off is, you can't use shell throw while using 2H weapons. Doesn't sound like much of a loss but it is the only attack (and ranged) skill available to beginners, and it ignores accuracy check as it always does 40 damage.
I'm sad because I never knew that :( I have only done a Beginner and Noblesse... I don't even use snail throw since the op weapon is the mop. The realistic thing I care about is honestly just getting HP balanced so that I can partake in end game stuff... It's actually ridiculous to try to boss for cards when I'm just dying because I have 2k hp (5.4k with beast slayer)

Zark

Jan 3, 2023
I'm sad because I never knew that :( I have only done a Beginner and Noblesse... I don't even use snail throw since the op weapon is the mop. The realistic thing I care about is honestly just getting HP balanced so that I can partake in end game stuff... It's actually ridiculous to try to boss for cards when I'm just dying because I have 2k hp (5.4k with beast slayer)
HP definitely needs to get tweaked a bit. Basic change in scaling past 30 is the best option IMO, though I wouldn't object if we got "Decent" line skills as part of a beginner-only quest line.

Also sort of doubt this is possible, but if HP bonuses on scrolls moved to an add percentage multiplier instead of a flat bonus (i.e. +5% instead of +50), I think it would give another option for boosting and make the scrolls overall more valuable.

Reactions: Commoner

kurokage

Dec 20, 2023
Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but i quite enjoy the concept of having a 'super beginner/noblesse'. Since we currently have the beginner's path to help with max hp/mp, could we also consider adding just 1 mobbing skill to assist beginners/noblesse? Legends already have the auto attack with polearms to mob
Elemental_Slash.png elemental slash : level 1 MP cost 10, Damage 130%, Number of Attacks: 1, Max enemies hit : 3